It is so easy for people to believe that God wants to condemn them. It is so easy for people to believe that God wouldn't want anything to do with them because they've done so many bad things or they have lost their faith. It is so easy for people to believe that they cannot face Jesus because they haven't honored His name. It is so easy for people to believe that they can only go to church if they get their stuff together; if they just break that really bad habit of sin they're struggling with. It is so easy for people to believe that God wouldn't listen to their prayers if they haven't prayed for a long time. This all couldn't be further from the truth.
Scripture tells us the truth which counter all of these lies:
- For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through Him. (John 3:17)
- For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39)
- But the Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him (Daniel 9:9)
- If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word has no place in our hearts. (1 John 1:8-10)
- The Lord is close to all who call on him, yes, to all who call on him in truth (Psalm 145:18)
In fact, He will go down His list of how much He loves you and wants you. He will share His heart for you. He will share the beautiful way He sees you. He will share the plans and blessings He has for you. He will answer all the questions you have for Him. He will show you His great mercy and give you the gift of His grace.
The Bible says God is a jealous God. If He is so jealous for us, how could He possibly want to keep us away from Him for as long as possible? The Bible also says He is close to the broken-hearted. He is right by your side when you're hurting. He cares about the things we care about.
All He wants from us is to be reconciled with Him. Yes, God wants you and Him to be true heart-to-heart friends; to make up!
2 Corinthians 5:17-20:He sees you, He knows you, He loves you.
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation ... be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.